Wildlife1.Com

Wildlife Community Network

Researchers into 'big cat' sightings in the Sydney basin and beyond are urging the Department of Primary Industries to put out a general warning about a possible breeding colony of pumas, leopards or jaguars in the Hawkesbury and Blue Mountains region.
Researcher and Grose Vale resident Chris Coffey, who keeps a database of sightings of the big cat, said there had been a spike in the number of reported sightings since widespread media coverage of the big cat and Premier Nathan Rees' pledge last year to look into the phenomenon.

"We have had well over 400 reported sightings of the big cat or panther, including one in Kurrajong only last week" Ms Coffey said. "I have been fielding constant calls from people. I was originally a sceptic but when I saw it 10 years ago it changed my mind. It was a very scary experience and there is no way I will go to the water pump on my property alone anymore."

Ms Coffey said the phenomenon was very serious due to the spread of suburban areas and the danger a big cat could pose to young children in the Hawkesbury and surrounding areas.
"What I want from the Department of Primary Industries is an official warning for people on the fringe of the bush, especially young children and the aged, to be vigilant at all times," Ms Coffey said.
"I also want to see a public education campaign on what to do and what not to do if you do come across the big cat."

Ms Coffey said she was frustrated by the number of people sceptical about the existence of the big cat, saying the issue had been "trivialised" on Sydney radio. "If people knew all the facts they might start listening," she said. "We're not stupid. We have had reports from everyone from solicitors to police officers and doctors. These people are not going to be lying. My greatest fear is that a child will come into contact with it.This big cat is a silent killer."

Blue Mountains resident and researcher Mike Williams said he had fears the big cats would come into contact with suburban populations in the Hawkesbury and Blue Mountains.

"Due to the expanding size of suburban areas, it's really only a matter of time," he said.

However, Mr Williams said he was not optimistic about the issue being taken seriously by the Department of Primary Industries. "I would like to be proven wrong, but I am not hopeful about it," he said. "It often seems like no-one will believe it until there is a body on the table... If it's big enough to scare the bejesus out of an adult male, then think about what it could do to a child."

Ms Coffey urged Hawkesbury residents to report all sightings of the big cat. "Residents can report sightings to Hawkes-bury City Council, the Department of Primary Industries, or myself between 7am and 5.30pm on 4572 1291 seven days a week," she said. "The most important thing is that we maintain the safety of the public, particularly with kids on holidays at the moment."

To read the above on its publication site, please click: Hawksbury

Views: 94

Replies to This Discussion

Hmm.. why would they jump to the conclusion there is a breeding colony? Maybe it's a captive escape, and just one cat being seen many times. Looking at the article and the photo, the article never says that the photo is the actual cat people see. So, I guess there are no photos of it so far.
And don't they know the difference between a puma and a spotted cat. I'll grant them that most people cannot differenciate between a leopard & jaguar but A PUMA? Come on already. And the writer talks about 10 years ago? Whatever.
Yup, that is the way they think! They can not identify the difference, it is a shame - because that usually leads to many accusations against private ownership.
Plus, by mentioning several types of big cats, they make it seem like there is a zoo full of cats on the loose, not just one cat that has been seen many times. And if it was an aggressive cat, these people wouldn't be able to live to tell the tale of seeing the cat.

SaraServal said:
Yup, that is the way they think! They can not identify the difference, it is a shame - because that usually leads to many accusations against private ownership.
THere have been over 400 sightings of UFOs too. Those people swear that what they saw was real. At least the radio & government aren't taking him seriously.

RSS

Sign in

Password
 or Sign Up
By signing in, you agree to the amended Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Forgotten your password?
Wildlife Community Network
is provided by:
National Wildlife Humane Society

If you would like to help offset the costs of this community, please use this button to make any small voluntary donation.

If you would like to explore how to further assist NWHS,
please click the link below.
NWHS - Support

Emoticat Codes

Discussion Forum

Research is Needed 1 Reply

Started by SaraServal. Last reply by SaraServal Aug 3, 2009.

Iberian Lynx photographed in wild 2 Replies

Started by Amy. Last reply by Kelly W Aug 2, 2009.

Servals Tribute 20 Replies

Started by Catman. Last reply by Cindy Hornstein Mar 25, 2009.

POSSIBLE BIG CAT BREEDING COLONY 5 Replies

Started by SaraServal. Last reply by Charity Harris Mar 15, 2009.

Exotc Animal Ownership on the Decline - Why? 2 Replies

Started by SaraServal. Last reply by SaraServal Mar 15, 2009.

Serval Cat Murdered! 2 Replies

Started by SaraServal. Last reply by Charity Harris Mar 14, 2009.

Bramble Park Zoo Has New Pallas Cat Kittens 2 Replies

Started by Amy. Last reply by Charity Harris Mar 14, 2009.

Cheetah Skull Found In North-West China 3 Replies

Started by SaraServal. Last reply by Charity Harris Mar 14, 2009.

Iberian Lynx articles 7 Replies

Started by Amy. Last reply by Charity Harris Mar 14, 2009.

Serval Print "Buy It Now' by Sarah Stribbling

Started by SaraServal Dec 24, 2008.

Help Save Rainforest

Donate through NWHS.
100% of all proceeds go to Touch The Jungle.
If using a credit card, a PayPal membership is not required.

Visit NWHS

NWHS At Facebook

View Tigerman Saga

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

994 Members Groups Discussions Blog posts Photos Music Tracks

© 2019   Created by Catman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service