Wildlife1.Com

Wildlife Community Network

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for joining us. This group is open to anyone who is interested in the project, so invite your friends!

I have invited people to this group who have been to Playa de Oro before, some who have volunteered there in the past, some still volunteer, and those who have been long time supporters. Please feel free to share your experiences of Playa de Oro with others, and let's get more people involved in the project by either traveling there or supporting from home. Share your experiences there, share your thoughts and suggestions to help the project, anything at all.

For those who may not already know me, I am the project director for Touch The Jungle, a Earthways sponsored conservation project. Touch The Jungle is the name of the overall proejct sponsored by the US based nonprofit, Earthways. http://earthways.org The goal of the project is to protect & preserve the El Choco rainforest and wildlife of Ecuador by working hand in hand with the local communities, and actually emcompasses a variety of different projects at the field level. The center of this project is the Playa de Oro Reserva de Tigrillos, which is a 25,000 acre reserve we help protect with the community that owns it, Playa de Oro. This project provides a number of community benefits to Playa de Oro in return for their protecting the jungle and wildlife there. One of those being a EcoTourism project so that the community can earn an income long term from protecting their forests rather than having a one time profit from destroying it for logging or mining. I am also working on getting a new location set up for a wildlife rehabilitation center.

I have been working in this project since 2001, being mentoring by the proejct founder, Rosa Jordan since then. She retired from project work at the end of 2006, and in the beginning of 2007, I took her plece as the project director. ALthough she stays in touch with me and still actively offers her advise and support for the project. I have done various projects there since then, inlcuding a camera trap project, wildlife rescue & rehab, community wildlife education, and a number of other things. I live in Arkansas where I also run a wild feline sanctuary here for small species of wild cats like servals, bobcat, and lynx. I also am a licensed wildlife rehabilitator here. My faciilty is federal and state licensed. Obviously with my animal duties here at home, I can't be down in Ecuador all the time, so I rely on volunteers and local peopel in Ecuador to help run things while I am not there myself.

If you have been to Playa de Oro before, or worked on any projects there, please share your experiences with us and tell us a bit about yourself.

If you have any questions about the project, just ask! Also, the proejct website is http://touchthejungle.org

Have fun!
Tracy

Views: 11

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to all you new comers to the group, glad you could join us!

About that ocelot who was snacking on a visitors ankle, I had a ocelot kitten at teh PDO lodge a few years ago that was rescued out of a market. We were raising him at the lodge, and he was allowed to run free, but he tended to stay right at the lodge and with the staff. The staff mainly raised him, and they often played stalking and pouncing games with him, which I specifically told them not to do, because this teaches a wild cat that humans are toys. But it was the first time for them raising a kitten, so, they had to learn somehow...

Annette from Sweden was with us in a tour group, and the ocelot, Little Cheif, decided he liked the way she tasted better than anyone else...so he was always trying to chew on her ankles. He was little though, no harm done. He was also a prankster....he liked to sneak up on people and give them a little chomp on teh butt, especially Annette. I think he just liked to see people's reaction to it, jumping and yelling out in surprise, you could literally see him laughing about it.
It's me Susie

Hi Susie
Well, that was my ankle and my butt! Us swedes are delicious :))

Annette

Charity Harris said:
I want to hear about the ocelot trying to eat ankles and butt. lol

RSS

Sign in

Password
 or Sign Up
By signing in, you agree to the amended Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Forgotten your password?
Wildlife Community Network
is provided by:
National Wildlife Humane Society

If you would like to help offset the costs of this community, please use this button to make any small voluntary donation.

If you would like to explore how to further assist NWHS,
please click the link below.
NWHS - Support

Emoticat Codes

Discussion Forum

Upcoming Touch The Jungle Ecuador Tours for 2010 11 Replies

Started by Tracy. Last reply by Catman Dec 20, 2009.

Touch The Jungle August '09 Ecuador Tour Group 2 Replies

Started by Tracy. Last reply by Catman Sep 6, 2009.

Ecuador story on 60 Minutes tonight 4 Replies

Started by Tracy. Last reply by Kumbahya Sep 3, 2009.

Touch The Jungle Upcoming Ecuador Tours October and November 5 Replies

Started by Tracy. Last reply by Catman Jul 23, 2009.

Touch The Jungle YouTube 4 Replies

Started by Catman. Last reply by Gayle/Mandi Traut May 26, 2009.

Touch The Jungle Supporters 22 Replies

Started by Catman. Last reply by Catman Apr 13, 2009.

Playa de Oro February 2009 trip report 7 Replies

Started by Tracy. Last reply by Catman Mar 14, 2009.

Intoduce Yourselves... 16 Replies

Started by Tracy. Last reply by annette lundberg Mar 10, 2009.

Playa de Oro Village Flood Feb. 2009 14 Replies

Started by Tracy. Last reply by Tracy Mar 5, 2009.

How Playa de Oro Reserva de Tigrillos Began... 3 Replies

Started by Tracy. Last reply by susie Mar 1, 2009.

Help Save Rainforest

Donate through NWHS.
100% of all proceeds go to Touch The Jungle.
If using a credit card, a PayPal membership is not required.

Visit NWHS

NWHS At Facebook

View Tigerman Saga

Birthdays

Birthdays Tomorrow

1003 Members Groups Discussions Blog posts Photos Music Tracks

© 2017   Created by Catman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service