Wildlife1.Com

Wildlife Community Network

This thread is to acknowledge those here that assist the Touch The Jungle program. Reading the other threads, you will realize what an awesome program this is, for saving REAL Rainforest.

Your assistance makes you personally, a vital part of this program.
Donation money ends up in entirety, in Ecuador, in the villager's hands, as US Dollars.
The US Dollars is strong in Ecuador, because the average income is so low there.

For instance, if the Playa de Oro villagers end up losing all of their crops due to this very recent flood disaster, then they are forced to go buy food. If they use US Dollars, they can buy at the closest market village and feed the entire village for a month,, for $200.00! They can hunt and fish for meat supplement.

Use the Paypal button on the front group page here, and help in any way you can.
I realize people get weary of being asked for donations, especially in this crappy economy, but this is a way for YOU to make a REAL difference in saving REAL rainforest. Touch The Jungle isn't just some "advocacy only" rainforest program. It is so real, that you yourself can actually go there and explore the jungle, and meet the villagers.

Where else can you help, and then actually go there and see what your help is actually doing?

Priorities at this time, for the village of Playa de Oro, is food and a boat motor. There is a PayPal button on the main page of this group, please go click and help in any way you can. Your name will be added to this thread.

If you are unable to help financially at this time, we will be starting another thread for other ways to assist this brilliant rainforest preservation concept.

Views: 17

Replies to This Discussion

Here is the "more info to come" in the main Forum

Turning Up The Heat!

Catman said:
Even if you can't go any time soon. Making a small contribution to these people and the jungle they preserve, will help secure your future prospects of seeing this place in it's pristine glory.

I have discussed some direct NWHS assist with the board of directors. We had a decent donation from a regular charitable giver out in CA., and I would like to share a bit of it with TTJ. More info to come concerning this.

Jodi said:
I know I've said this before, but I highly recommend visiting PDO. It really will change your views on life and it's an experience you'll never forget!!
Some old bearded hillbilly guy in Arkansas (cough) tossed in a $20, so we are now up to $75. We need $225.00 more to make $300, and NWHS will cut a check from the TTJ fund, plus another check from NWHS general funds for $200.00.

That will be $500 for this worthy cause and bring relief to these villagers.
A member here, Amy, is going to match the $300 WCN goal with another $300. NWHS will match $200. That's $800 total when the folks here make goal.

Need $225 more for that goal. Anyone want to get it closer? No amount is too small.
I don't think it worked right. I think my $10 went straight to NWHS. If you have to transfer the money, I don't mind if you left half in NWHS & send the other half to Touch the Jungle. I know it's not a lot but, $10 here and $10 there each week starts to add up. I have to spend the, well I can't say wealth so I'll say crumbs, around.
It all went to Touch The Jungle. The way PayPal is set up, there is only one paypal account to a business bank account (have no idea why it's that way), so I cant open another using that same account.

So, Tracy suggested I create a 2nd email and use that, which I did, and it works.
touchthejungle@humanewildlife.org

You still see the NWHS page at paypal, but the donation comes through the new special email url. I then forward a copy of the notification to Tracy so she can also keep up with it too (in case my email or PC were to crash). When you receive your PayPal reply, it shows it as that new email. Plus, you get a thank you email receipt from NWHS on that same TTJ email, noting that your donation is earmarked for Touch The Jungle.

Sounds complicated but it really isn't. Just maybe a bit confusing seeing the NWHS page. NWHS is taking none of the TTJ donations, we are actually adding in an extra 200 from the general funds, plus at this go-around, we are also going to cover the PayPal deductions as well.

That being said,, We need 20 more bucks to make goal!
Someone do us the honor... k? :)

Charity Harris said:
I don't think it worked right. I think my $10 went straight to NWHS. If you have to transfer the money, I don't mind if you left half in NWHS & send the other half to Touch the Jungle. I know it's not a lot but, $10 here and $10 there each week starts to add up. I have to spend the, well I can't say wealth so I'll say crumbs, around.
Goal has been reached and funds just dropped from Paypal to the NWHS bank account and a check will be cut as soon as it shows up. There will be a $300 check to represent the WCN member donations, and another $200 check from NWHS gen. funds as a matching contribution.

Thank you so much to those who participated in this fund raiser.

We will leave the PayPal button here, and invite members to assist at anytime, because these villages can always use some help. We will also start another thread for folks to get involved who are unable to contribute financially, but would like to donate some time and effort in other ways. Stayed tuned.

Again, Thanks WCN members!
Here's how it all turned out, on this fundraiser.

HIGHLIGHTER $25
Colleen Wasilieff $100
Grace Lush $20
SaraServal $5
Catman $55
Sherry $45
Jodi $20
Charity Harris $20
Clockwork $10
Marisa $5

TOTAL WCN $305

NWHS Match $200
Amy Rasmussen Match $300

Fundraiser TTJ TOTAL $800

(NWHS will cover the differences for the PayPal fees)
I apologize I have been absent here the last week or so, but just wanted everyone to know how much I appreciate your support and efforts to help Playa de Oro.

Thank you so much to those of you who donated to help with the flood relief at PDO. And thank you so much to Amy for turning the heat up by donating $300 if everyone else would pitch in and help too. Amy has been a long time supporter of this project. In fact, she was one of the first people to go to PDO with me! She has been there every step of the way with me since I started working on this project. She named the first ocelot that we nursed back to help and later released, Missy.

And a special thank you to Catman for working hard to promote and fundraise for the project and getting NWHS involved and to donate the $200 to help encourage others to support this worthwhile cause.

I also can't fail to give a shout out to a new member here, Charity, for jumping in with both feet to promote this project and fundraising by becoming TTJ's newest and enthusiastic cheerleader. Keep up the good work!

Thank you so much to everyone, I really appreciate all your hard work and generosity! 3 Gold Stars for everyone!

Tracy

Catman said:
Here's how it all turned out, on this fundraiser.

HIGHLIGHTER $25
Colleen Wasilieff $100
Grace Lush $20
SaraServal $5
Catman $55
Sherry $45
Jodi $20
Charity Harris $20
Clockwork $10
Marisa $5

TOTAL WCN $305

NWHS Match $200
Amy Rasmussen Match $300

Fundraiser TTJ TOTAL $800

(NWHS will cover the differences for the PayPal fees)
Update on your donations for the flood relief:

We decided that your donations would be best utilized to rebuild the riverbank stairway to the lodge. The riverbank is steep and rocky, very slick. There has been a concrete stairway for years, and it has been eroding little by little over time, but this last devastating flood washed it completely out. It is not safe for visitors of the lodge to try to climb that steep riverbank with their luggage, so I felt this was a real safety issue for visitors.

Usually we have to wait to carry any funds to Playa de Oro until we can travel down there in person because they don't have any bank accounts or even mail service in their community. However, Grace has a bank account in Ecuador and she generously offered to front the money to Playa de Oro from her account, so that we can get the money to them now, rather than waiting for one of us to go there adn take it to them. (which would be in several more months)

We worked out a system for Ramiro to get the funds from Grace, and he will go to the hardware store to purchase the needed supplies for the staircase, and will have it delivered to the small community of Selve Alegra, where Julio will be waiting to receive the delivery. Julio will then boat the materials on to PDO, and they can begin work on the staircase. Ramiro will give me the receipts for the materials the next time myself or Grace goes to Ecuador, so that I can turn in the receipts to Earthways to account for how the funds were spent. Hopefully the community will be able to complete the staircase in time for our next visit, and we can get some photos of the completed project to share with you.

I'll keep you updated on their progress as I hear how things are going.

Thanks again for everyone's help and support!

Tracy
"There has been a concrete stairway for years, and it has been eroding little by little over time, but this last devastating flood washed it completely out. It is not safe for visitors of the lodge to try to climb that steep riverbank with their luggage, so I felt this was a real safety issue for visitors."

That's awesome! Whatever it takes to get tours going again, ASAP.
Eco-tours, being their primary source of income, should indeed have priority, especially if their food needs are taken care of from other sources, and the older boat motor will be ok for awhile.

The photo of the stairs at the landing would be great! Then NWHS and the Members of WCN can say "We did that"! Maybe some of us at WCN, can one day walk up the landing stairs and feel some pride in knowing we made a difference.

RSS

Sign in

Password
 or Sign Up
By signing in, you agree to the amended Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Forgotten your password?
Wildlife Community Network
is provided by:
National Wildlife Humane Society

If you would like to help offset the costs of this community, please use this button to make any small voluntary donation.

If you would like to explore how to further assist NWHS,
please click the link below.
NWHS - Support

Emoticat Codes

Discussion Forum

Upcoming Touch The Jungle Ecuador Tours for 2010 11 Replies

Started by Tracy. Last reply by Catman Dec 20, 2009.

Touch The Jungle August '09 Ecuador Tour Group 2 Replies

Started by Tracy. Last reply by Catman Sep 6, 2009.

Ecuador story on 60 Minutes tonight 4 Replies

Started by Tracy. Last reply by Kumbahya Sep 3, 2009.

Touch The Jungle Upcoming Ecuador Tours October and November 5 Replies

Started by Tracy. Last reply by Catman Jul 23, 2009.

Touch The Jungle YouTube 4 Replies

Started by Catman. Last reply by Gayle/Mandi Traut May 26, 2009.

Touch The Jungle Supporters 22 Replies

Started by Catman. Last reply by Catman Apr 13, 2009.

Playa de Oro February 2009 trip report 7 Replies

Started by Tracy. Last reply by Catman Mar 14, 2009.

Intoduce Yourselves... 16 Replies

Started by Tracy. Last reply by annette lundberg Mar 10, 2009.

Playa de Oro Village Flood Feb. 2009 14 Replies

Started by Tracy. Last reply by Tracy Mar 5, 2009.

How Playa de Oro Reserva de Tigrillos Began... 3 Replies

Started by Tracy. Last reply by susie Mar 1, 2009.

Help Save Rainforest

Donate through NWHS.
100% of all proceeds go to Touch The Jungle.
If using a credit card, a PayPal membership is not required.

Visit NWHS

NWHS At Facebook

View Tigerman Saga

Birthdays

1003 Members Groups Discussions Blog posts Photos Music Tracks

© 2017   Created by Catman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service